The State Authorization Network
The leader for guidance and support for navigating state and federal regulatory compliance for out-of-state activities of postsecondary institutions.
SAN members, log in for exclusive content.
Learn more about SAN!
Not a member?
News & Updates (October)
September 30, 2023 - No Federal Government Shutdown - Continuing resolution passed to keep Federal governement running through November 17, 2023.
2021-2022 Federal Rulemaking Update:
- NEWEST! September 28, 2023 Final Regulations for Financial Value Transparency & Gainful Employment; scheduled publication date 10/10/23, but the unofficial version is available at the link above. These new regulations will become effective July 1, 2024.
- NEW! September 18, 2023 Certification Procedures (issues affecting programs leading to license and reciprocity) has been submitted to OMB for review.
- WCET Frontiers Proposed Federal Rules Affecting Programs Leading to a License & State Authorization Reciprocity Need a Delayed Effective Date; 8/25/23
- Proposed Regulations Released May 17, 2023 - U.S. Department of Education Press Release of Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM); Federal Register Announcement: Financial Value Transparency and Gainful Employment, Financial Responsibility, Administrative Capability, Certification Procedures, Ability to Benefit; (includes Certification Procedures addressing Professional Licensure and possibly affecting Reciprocity).
Member Only Webinars:
- October 18, 2023, Compliance by Design, Institutional Approaches to Ensuring RSI; Time: 1pm ET, 12pm CT, 11am MT, 10am PT, 9am Alaska
- November 15, 2023, “Waze” to Find the Detours and Fast Lanes to Understand New U.S Department of Education Guidance and Regulations; Time: 2pm ET, 1pm CT, 12pm MT, 11am PT, 10am Alaska;
Open Forum - 2nd Tuesday of each month. October 10, 2023; Time: 10AM Alaska, 11AM Pacific, Noon Mountain, 1PM Central, 2PM Eastern; Link: https://wiche.zoom.us/j/95387418403?pwd=NHVidkpBOWI4L3NlV1ZHSGw3QWpvdz09; October Topic: Special Preview of the New & Upcoming SAN Integration Course; October Expert: Jana Walser-Smith; Director, Interstate Compliance and SAN Member Outreach, State Authorization Network. Open Forum is an opportunity for a 30 min Q & A with the expert(s) and is not typically recorded.
WCET Annual Meeting + ASWE and SAN Coordinator Meeting - Register Now! October 25-27 in New Orleans, LA. SAN Coordinator Meeting and the SAN Member Gathering will take place as preconference events at the same location on October 24, 2023.
U.S. Department of Education Rulemaking 2021-2022 Information Here! Watch this SAN webpage for updates, resources, explanation of the rulemaking process. (Our primary issue: Certification Procedures addressing programs leading to a professional license and reciprocity)
U.S. Department of Education Rulemaking 2023-2024 Information Here! Watch this SAN webpage for updates and resources. Fall 2023 rulemaking will be on Loan Forgiveness. TBD on timing for rulemaking on TPS, Accreditation, State Authorization, and Definition of Distance Education.
Access to Key Areas of the SAN website:
- Are you new or relatively new to the issue of out-of-state activity compliance? Start Here with State Authorization 101 which leads to How it Works and Why Comply. Then move to Getting Started.
- Topic Areas: Nine key subject areas can be accessed through the 9 tiles as you scroll down on this page or from the Resources tab drop down at the top of the webpage.
- Website login information is provided to SAN members by the SAN Coordinators for your SAN Membership. Login is required for member only resources noted as requiring SAN Member login.
Communication Platform for SAN member email updates and SAN discussions - use wcetMIX. FAQ's & tutorials:https://wcetmix.wiche.edu/faq. Also please review "5 FYI's to make the most of WCET & SAN's community discussion platform".
WCET Frontiers - articles on many higher education issues related to educational technology
Follow Us on LinkedIn - State Authorization Network (SAN).
How We Help
SAN sponsored analysis, best practices, training, timely updates, and resources are provided for SAN Members.
State Authorization 101
Introductory material to understand the foundation of state authorization compliance.
Members share information and obtain direction and assistance through:
- Training workshops and webcasts.
- Discussions with regulators and experts.
- Monthly calls , email discussions, and face to face meetings.
- Research reports and state-by-state analyses.
- Reciprocity advice.