The State Authorization Network
SAN members, log in for exclusive content.
Not a member?
News & Updates (November)
November 1, 2019 - Federal Register Announcement of USED releases 2019 FINAL Federal Regulations for State Authorization and Accreditation called: Student Assistance General Provisions, The Secretary's Recognition of Accrediting Agencies, The Secretary's Recognition Procedures for State Agencies. Effective Date is July 1, 2020. However, 600.2; 600.9(c); 668.43; and 668.50 are subject to immediate early implementation at the discretion of the institution. History and timeline of the development of the regulations can be found here.
SANsational Award Winners Announced! Congratulations to University of Louisville; Western Governors University, James Madison University and University of Virginia
Open Forum - 2nd Tuesday of each month. November 12, 2019 Time: 10AM Alaska, 11AM Pacific, Noon Mountain, 1PM Central, 2PM Eastern; Link: https://wiche.zoom.us/j/9421225612; Opportunity for ALL members to participate in a 30 minute “link in” and ask questions about the designated topic to the monthly expert. November Topic: State Authorization from a Chief Compliance Officer's perspective November Expert: Erika Linden, Des Moines University
NEW! SAN Podcasts:
- June Podcast available here! June Subject: What is the purpose and why should one care about higher education regulations? Special guest: Russ Poulin, Executive Director, WCET and Vice President for Technology Enhanced Education, WICHE.
- July Podcast available here! July Subject: WCET and SAN the interactions, the benefits of WCET, and the WCET Annual Meeting highlights for Nov, 2019. Special guest: Megan Raymond, Director, Programs and Sponsorship, WCET.
- September Podcast available here! September Subject: Higher ed in Alaska, managing out-of-state activity compliance, 2019 negotiated rulemaking ups and downs from the view point of a negotiator representing 4 year public institutions. Special Guest: Dave Dannenberg, Director Academic Innovations & eLearning, University of Alaska - Anchorage
- October Podcast available here! October Subject: Experience from a veteran regulator, member of the reciprocity development team, and SARA consultant. Our guest brings an understanding about the legal focus of State oversight for institutions that under the purview of the State as well as SARA creation and implementation nuances. Special guest: Alan Contreras, NC-SARA Consultant and former state regulator
Nursing State Board Profiles (review under "Education") - from National Council State Boards of Nursing
Licensed Professions per State with Board links Updated October 1, 2019 (requires SAN Member login)
Common Professional Board National Links: Updated April 2019 (requires SAN Member login)
Student Complaint Information by State and Agency - June 2019 update
The Guide (replaces the SHEEO Surveys)
State Authorization 101
Introductory material to understand the foundation of state authorization compliance.
Members share information and obtain direction and assistance through:
- Training workshops and webcasts.
- Discussions with regulators and experts.
- Monthly calls , email discussions, and face to face meetings.
- Research reports and state-by-state analyses.
- Reciprocity advice.