The State Authorization Network
SAN members, log in for exclusive content.
Not a member?
News & Updates (September)
August 13, 2019 - Department of Education files unopposed motion for voluntary dismissal of the appeal for NEA; et al. v. DeVos; et al.
August 5, 2019 - Department of Education provides an updated Q & A for the July 22, 2019 guidance.
August 2, 2019 - Department of Education considers the California Compliant process acceptable dating back to May 26, 2019, but expects modifications to address "compliance challenges".
July 29, 2019 - Federal Register Announcement from the Department of Ed that the 2016 State Authorization Federal Regulations went into effect on May 26, 2019 citing that the July 2018 delay rule for the regulations was vacated due to the April 26, 2019 U.S. District Court ruling.
July 22, 2019 - USED provided guidance regarding now effective 34 CFR 600.9(c)(2). "under the 2016 regulation now in effect, students residing in California receiving distance education or correspondence courses from out-of-state public or non-profit institutions are ineligible for title IV programs until such time as the State of California provides those institutions with an appropriate complaint process or enters into a reciprocity agreement".
Open Forum - 2nd Tuesday of each month. September 10, 2019 Time: 10AM Alaska, 11AM Pacific, Noon Mountain, 1PM Central, 2PM Eastern; Link: https://wiche.zoom.us/j/9421225612; Opportunity for ALL members to participate in a 30 minute “link in” and ask questions about the designated topic to the monthly expert. September Topic: A busy summer: Federal Regs, Lawsuits, Etc. Where are we now? September Experts: Russ Poulin, Cheryl Dowd, and Dan Silverman This will be a dynamic discussion!!!
SAN Advanced Topics Workshop - Oct 1 - 2, 2019; St. Louis, MO; Update on HEA & Federal Rulemaking: The Impact on Institutional Compliance; Waitlist information here! SOLD OUT!
NEW! SAN Podcasts:
- June Podcast available here! June Subject: What is the purpose and why should one care about higher education regulations? Special guest: Russ Poulin, Executive Director, WCET and Vice President for Technology Enhanced Education, WICHE.
- July Podcast available here! July Subject: WCET and SAN the interactions, the benefits of WCET, and the WCET Annual Meeting highlights for Nov, 2019. Special guest: Megan Raymond, Director, Programs and Sponsorship, WCET.
Federal Regulation Compliance Guidance to implement now effective 2016 Federal Regulations: Greg Ferenbach & Jeannie Yockey-Fine
The Guide (replaces the SHEEO Surveys!)
State Agency Quick Chart including Nursing and Teacher Education Boards - June 2019 update (requires SAN Member login)
Student Complaint Information by State and Agency - June 2019 update
State Authorization 101
Introductory material to understand the foundation of state authorization compliance.
Members share information and obtain direction and assistance through:
- Training workshops and webcasts.
- Discussions with regulators and experts.
- Monthly calls , email discussions, and face to face meetings.
- Research reports and state-by-state analyses.
- Reciprocity advice.