Other Higher Education Issues
COVID-19 Guidance Weblinks - Institutional Accreditors
Institutional Accreditors have provided the following guidance (note that is is changing regularly):
- C-RAC Members COVID-19 Response Page Note this was updated! Letter from C-RAC to Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos urging the Department of Education to extend current guidance related to distance education review requirements through the 2020-21 academic school year. (April 21, 2020) Assuring Quality through Accreditation During COVID-19 (June 16, 2020)
- Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC WASC): See the list of resources provided on the COVID-19 Information/Updates for ACCJC Institutions: RESPONSE REQUIRED: ACCJC Deadline for Spring 2021 Distance Education Program Transitions due to COVID-19https://accjc.org/wp-content/uploads/2020_10_14-Memo-ACCJC-Deadlines-for-Spring-2021-DE-Program-Transitions-due-to-COVID-19.pdf (October 14, 2020) As each member institution continues to adapt and respond to public health guidelines, it is clear that many will need to continue to provide distance and correspondence education options for students through the Spring 2021 term. To that end, ACCJC requests written notifications from member institutions utilizing these modalities in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These notifications must be provided by December 1, 2020. Accreditation Liaison Officers should send their institution’s notification via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Distance Education Accredition Commission (DEAC) - Please review: DEAC Response to COVID-19 (June 12, 2020)
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC): HLC has shared information on their website under Coronavirus Updates (also accessible through the link at the top of their home page). Note this updated section from June 29, 2020: “Notify HLC of Changes to Educational Offerings,” including requesting a temporary distance education waiver. The Answers to FAQ's including pass/fail, waiving graduation requirements, offering distance ed. etc. updated 9/17/20 Also see, Evaluations of Criteria for Accreditation during COVID-19 Pandemic updated 9/17/20 and Distance Education Substantive Change Approval Requirements 11/19/20
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE): Please review: MSCHE Response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). Notification: Distance Education Temporary Waiver Expires on December 31, 2020 (October 1, 2020)
- New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE): Please review the COVID-19 (“Coronavirus”) Update webpage.
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU): Please review: Update: NWCCU Information Regarding COVID-19 Responses.
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC): Please review the Coronavirus and the Commission webpage of resources. Most recent guidance: December 7, 2020 – Temporary Emergency Relocation of Instruction Related to Coronavirus Outbreak July 9,2020 Implementation Extension Request Due to COVID-19 April 13, 2020 – Update of SACSCOC Matters Related to Coronavirus Outbreak; March 31, 2020 – SACSCOC Flexibilities Policy regarding COVID-19
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC): WSCUC Response to COVID-19 Webpage last updated 9/3/2020. Temporary Authorization of Distance Education for Spring 2021 Terms (9/3/20); WSCUC Will Conduct Fall 2020 Site Visits Virtually 5/26/20) Continued Flexibility for Distance Learning Allowed by Department of Education through December 31, 2020 (5/15/20) Also, WSCUC held a virtual State of the Community on Friday, April 24. Watch the webinar recording.
Share via link