Other Higher Education Issues
COVID-19 Guidance Weblinks - Institutional (formerly regional) Accreditors
Institutional (formerly regional) Accreditors have provided the following guidance (note that is is changing regularly):
- C-RAC Members COVID-19 Response Page Note this was updated! Letter from C-RAC to Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos urging the Department of Education to extend current guidance related to distance education review requirements through the 2020-21 academic school year. (April 21, 2020)
- Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC WASC): See the list of resources provided on the COVID-19 Information/Updates for ACCJC Institutions *NEW 4/20/2020: RESPONSE REQUIRED: ACCJC Deadlines for Summer and Fall 2020 Distance Education Program Transitions due to COVID-19 All member institutions that expand Distance Education offerings in response to the COVID-19 outbreak must notify ACCJC of this transition for summer no later than June 1, 2020 and the deadline to submit the list of programs for Fall 2020 is August 1, 2020. ACCJC will accept an email list of courses converted to distance education or correspondence education as adequate notification. Accreditation Liaison Officers should send their institution’s notification via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Distance Education Accredition Commission (DEAC) - Please review: DEAC Response to COVID-19 (May 26, 2020)
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC): HLC has shared information on their website under Coronavirus Updates (also accessible through the link at the top of their home page). Note this updated section from April 21, 2020: “Notify HLC of Changes to Educational Offerings,” including requesting a temporary distance education waiver. Also note the Answers to FAQ's including pass/fail, waiving graduation requirements, offering distance ed. etc. updated 5/15/20
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE): Please review the Recorded Broadcast to Provide MSCHE Accreditation-Related Updates (May 27, 2020) for instructions. The webcast transcript is available here.
- New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE): Please review the COVID-19 (“Coronavirus”) Update webpage. NECHE is currently handling any waivers of distance education requirements on a case-by-case basis. "We recognize that institutions are making changes in the academic calendar and modes of delivery to ensure the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff while ensuring the best possible academic experience possible in these circumstances, in light of the Commission’s Standards and policies and federal guidance. We appreciate hearing from institutions about these accommodations."
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU): Please review: Update: NWCCU Information Regarding COVID-19 Responses.
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC): Please review the Coronavirus and the Commission webpage of resources. Most recent guidance: May 22, 2020 – Temporary Emergency Relocation of Instruction Related to Coronavirus Outbreak; April 13, 2020 – Update of SACSCOC Matters Related to Coronavirus Outbreak; March 31, 2020 – SACSCOC Flexibilities Policy regarding COVID-19
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC): WSCUC Response to COVID-19 Webpage. Review the March 6, 2020 COVID-19 update and the March 13, 2020 WSCUC Guiance for ALOs. Note the FAQ's: Questions Regarding Instruction (updated 5/15/20) and Questions Regarding WSCUC Operations and Upcoming Institution Visits and Reviews (updated 4/29/20). Also, WSCUC held a virtual State of the Community on Friday, April 24. Watch the webinar recording.
Share via link