Out-of-State Student Complaint Options
This Talking Points white paper, which is downloadable here from this webpage, provides a review of student complaint options. Included in the review is the role of the institution to clearly provide the institution's complaint process and direction to the appropriate state agency to review and act on complaints against the institution. A chart is provided to frame the descriptions and issues provided in the paper.
- Institution Complaint Process
- Recourse Outside the Institution
- SARA Student Complaint Process
- Student Complaint Process for Related Concerns Outside of Reciprocity (SARA)
- Academic Issues of Review by an Accreditor
- Military Affiliated Students
- U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid (FSA) Self-Resolution Checklist and Ombudsman's Office
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- State Attorneys General
- Private Lawsuits
- Student Complaint Options Chart
Note: the chart is included with the paper and separately for download.
Note: The information presented is offered to review and compare the responsibilities of institutions and state agencies for purposes of student consumer protection. The information should not be considered legal advice. Legal questions should be directed to legal counsel.