Programs Leading to a License or Certification
Key Institution Responsibilities:
- Seek program approval by the state licensing board, if required, in the state where the activity occurs.
- Provide notifications for programs leading to a professional license or certification as required by 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v) and 34 CFR 668.43(c), regardless of modality of the program.
- Provide notifications for programs subject to SARA Policy as required by SARA Policy Manual Section 5.2.
- Comply with State laws and regulations and Federal Misrepresentation Regulations.
State Program Approvals:
- Determine state location of students participating in the courses & programs leading to a license or certification.
- Research state laws & regulations where the student is located to determine applicable requirements when serving a student in that location.
- Comply with state laws & regulations and obtain state programs approval, if required, where the student is located.
Federal Regulations Requiring Notifications - 34 CFR 668.43 (a)(5)(v) & 34 CFR 668.43(c):
- All educational programs as described in the regulation, regardless of modality.
- Educational programs are those that are Designed or Advertised:
- To meet state educational requirements
- For a specific professional license or certification
- Required for employment in an occupation
- Whether completion of the program is sufficient to meet state licensure requirements.
- Public/Make Available Notification addressing all states and territories
- List of states where the curriculum DOES meet state educational requirements.
- List of states where the curriculum DOES NOT meet state educational requirements.
- List of states where the institution HAS NOT MADE A DETERMINATION.
- Direct/Individualized Notifications
- Required for Prospective Students: if the institution indicates DOES NOT meet state educational requirements or NO DETERMINATION where the prospective student is located, a notice to that effect must go to the student prior to enrollment in the program. (prior to a financial commitment)
- Required for Enrolled Students: if the institution indicates DOES NOT meet the state educational requirements in the location where the enrolled student is located, the notice to that effect must be provided to the enrolled student within 14 calendar days of the institution making that determination.
SARA Requirements – SARA Policy Manual Section 5.2
- SARA participating institutions must satisfy Federal requirements for notifications for programs subject to SARA Policy. For SARA purposes, the requirements also apply to non-Title IV institutions.
- Institutions must provide the applicable licensing board information to the student where the student is located if the institution is unable to make a determination of meeting requirements, after all reasonable efforts.
For more details, please review the Professional Licensure Landing Page on the SAN website.
Note: This resource was created by the State Authorization Network (SAN), a division of WCET. Regulatory language and references are subject to change. The information should not be considered legal advice. Legal questions should be directed to legal counsel.